Three Houses Will Get New Senior Tutors

Changes at Lowell, Winthrop, Quincy

Three of the nine Houses will have new senior tutors next year. Rustam Z. Kothavala will become Allston Burr Senior Tutor of Lowell House, while Frederick C. Cabot '59 and Garland E. Allen III will serve as Acting Allston Burr Senior Tutors of Winthrop House and Quincy House, respectively.

Kothavala, who was recently appointed lecturer on Geology, will replace Richard H. Ullman '55, who is leaving for Princeton to become an associate professor of Politics and International Affairs.

Kothavala is currently a proctor in Pennypacker Hall and a non-resident tutor in Leverett House. Born in Bangalore, India, he earned his B.S. at the University of Madras in 1955. He holds an M.S. from the University of Arizona and a Ph.D. from Harvard.

Cabot will be the acting senior tutor of Winthrop House while the present senior tutor, Standish Meacham Jr., spends a year in England, where he will be working on a biography of Bishop Samuel Wilberforce.

A graduate student in English, Cabot is presently a tutor in Winthrop House. He has also served as a coach for various Harvard crews during the last four years.

Allen will serve in place of Larry D. Benson, who will be on a one-year sabbatical. Presently a resident tutor in Quincy House, Allen is a teaching fellow in the History of Science.

Allen is currently collaborating on a unique series of high school textbooks combining the teaching of biology and chemistry. A native of Louisville, Ky., he attended the University of Louisville before coming to the Graduate School of Education, where he received an M.A.T. in 1958. He has been a proctor in Greenough Hall and Grays Hall.