'Cliffe Athletes Score At Wellesley Play Day

Twelve Cliffies attended an eight-school play day at Wellesley Saturday and brought back a first place victory in squash and a close third in swimming.

Only three schools entered the squash tournament. All four Radcliffe contestants defeated their Bouve College opponents, while Polly Rogers and Denise Campbell, playing second and third positions, also downed their Wellesley counterparts.

Since Radcliffe and Wellesley finished with tied match scores--both schools had won six and lost two matches--the victor was chosen on a game basis, the 'Cliffe emerging triumphant with a one-game margin.

Sue Burchell and Pat Davidson led the Radcliffe contingent in the four-school swimming meet. Miss Burchell was runner-up in the 50-yd. butterfly and the 100-yd. individual medley, and Miss Davidson took the dive, downing the second place Wellesley entrant 100.4 to 89.1 Kim Crichton also took a second place in the 50-yd. freestyle.

Radcliffe piled up a total of 7 points for the meet--just five fewer than the second-place UMass team, and 29 more than last-place Bradford.

The swimming meet was followed by two unscored experimental races--a 200-yd. individual medley and a 400-yd. freestyle contest. These races were part of a trend in women's swimming meets to lengthen the distance in some events.