Misconduct Charged in RGA Election

By Ann Peck

Irregular closing of the polls, an abandoned ballot box, and unclear campaign procedure provoked charges yesterday of misconduct in the recent RGA elections.

Although the two-day election, in which 730 Cliffies participated, was supposed to end at 5 p.m. Friday evening, three dormitories reported last night that the polls had closed several hours later.

In Eliot Hall, balloting ended at 1 a.m. Saturday morning, according to Lynn F. Landis '63, RGA representative. In two other dormitories, Moors and Cabot, voters were not turned away until 7:30 Friday evening.

Election procedure is suseptible to charges of misconduct primarily because of apathy within RGA itself, Nancy Chodorow '66 alleged yesterday. She noted that there had been no volunteers when she asked for help in running the elections last fall. "I had no control over the elections beyond informing the RGA delegates of the proper procedure; I couldn't run the whole thing myself," she said.

A letter which noted the specific voting hours and regulations was sent to all RGA representatives, according to Miss Chodorow. Miss Landis said last night, however, that she did not receive any notification beyond the weekly RGA newsletter which gave only the days the elections would be held.

Miss Chodorow requested that all representatives bring the ballots to her residence by Sunday noon. That morning, the votes from Moors Hall were left on the porch of Warner House. "Although it is unlikely that the votes were actually tampered with during that half hour, the potential was there and this is certainly no way to conduct elections," one irate student charged last night.

Greater control over the election would be possible if RGA designated a central polling place, Miss Chodorow suggested yesterday. She pointed out, however, that "not nearly--perhaps one-quarter--as many Cliffies would vote."

In addition to regularities in voting hours and ballot collection, Margaret W. Rossiter '66, vice-president-elect, last night expressed dissatisfaction with pre-election campaigns.

Although candidates' platforms have traditionally been posted in the Radcliffe library display case, this year they were put up only in Agassix, where fewer Cliffies were likely to see them, Miss Rossiter charged.

In addition, no specific campaign regulations were given the candidates for RGA offices, according to Miss Rossiter. In the past, there have been limitations on candidates' expenses, poster sizes, and personal campaigning.

Miss Chodorow explained last night that the election rules have not been used since RGA replaced the old Student Government Association in 1962. "There has been no need for their reinstitution until this election," she said.

Several Cliffies have also complained about the moratorium called on campaigning for the second ballot. According to Miss Chodorow, the executive committee feels that the platforms already presented by the two candidates are adequate for the second vote.

"After this election, I'm content--and determined--to slip back into my former apathy," a disgruntled Cliffie said last night