Obscenities Rile Calif. Assembly

The State Assembly of California yesterday overwhelmingly passed a resolution demanding the expulsion of four University of California students who staged obscenity demonstrations two weeks ago.

The resolution, introduced by Rep. Donald Mulford (R-Berkeley), asks the university's Board of Regents to take immediate action against the students, who were arrested for parading around the Berkeley campus with signs bearing four-letter obscene words.

President Clark Kerr and Martin Meyerson, acting chancellor of the Berkeley campus, had resigned last week after Edward Carter, chairman of the Board of Regents, called a special meeting to take charge of the case. The two withdrew their resignations when the Regents instead voted to leave disciplinary matters to the faculty.

Faculty Hearings

Announcement of the resolution followed by a day a disclosure by Arleigh Williams, dean of students at the Berkeley campus, that a faculty committee will begin holding formal hearings next Wednesday to consider disciplinary action against the students.

Informed sources predicted last night that the Board of Regents will a wait the outcome of the faculty hearings before considering action in accordance with the Assembly resolution. If the faculty committee recommends expulsion of the students. Regent action would be unnecessary.

Another resolution passed yesterday by the State Assembly calls for all meetings of the Board of Regents to be open to the public. Fifty-one members of the state's 82-man Assembly signed both resolutions.

Mulford yesterday also introduced a bill that would permit the university's administration to oust trespassers from the university's campuses "at any time it is necessary." The bill stems from trouble university officials had trying to eject one of the organizers of the obscenity demonstration, John Thompson, who is not a student in the university.