Pickets Censure Apartheid Policy

Over 100 exhausted demonstrators protested American supportive investment in South Africa at the First National Bank of Boston, the United Shoe Co., and Kendall Co. from noon to 5:30 p.m. yesterday.

The demonstration commemorated the Sharpeville massacre of 68 non-violent demonstrators on March 21, 1960. By putting pressure on private investment in South Africa, the Boston Committee hopes to reduce the 400 million dollars U.S. trade which is supporting the segregationist regime. U.N. and African leaders insist that sanctions on trade are the only alternative to a bloody race war in South Africa.

Part of Series

The Boston demonstration was part of a series that took place in New York. Detroit, San Francisco, England, and Nigeria. In New York, 500 demonstrators gathered outside the main entrance of the Chase Manhattan Bank while 44 others were arrested for blocking one of the exits. When police tried to remove them, the picketers went limp and had to be dragged away.

Leaders of the New York demonstration met with Lawrence Marshall, vice-chairman of the bank, who gave the stock response of the day: we feel no moral compulsion to withdraw our in vestments.

While Swarthmore students were putting pressure on their administration to withdraw funds from Chase Manhattan, Aggrey Awori '65 lamented Harvard's indirect investments in South Africa at Faneuil Hall last evening.

Also speaking at the meeting were Noel Day and Nathaniel Nakasa. Day, who ran for Congress against Rep. McCormack, ended his speech by saying that all American freedom movements have to start in the streets.

Part of Series