Fourth Radcliffe House May Go Up This Spring

By Maxine S. Paisner

Construction of Radcliffe's fourth house will probably begin this spring.

The Radcliffe trustees yesterday voted unanimous approval of architect Max Abramovitz's plans for the house. Although the plans must still receive the official sanction of the Radcliffe Council, the College's governing board, their final acceptance should be only a formality.

The Council, which will hold its monthly meeting Monday, is composed of eight of the trustees who voted in favor of the plans yesterday.

If formal approval is obtained, construction of the building will begin immediately after Commencement. Mrs. Helen H. Gilbert, acting president of Radcliffe, said yesterday.

She added that at least one of Radcliffe's off-campus houses will have to be destroyed to make room for the first section of the fourth house, to be located on Garden St. next to the new study center.

Gilman Must Go

"We'll have to tear down Gilman House," she said. "If it had been a little smaller, we would have moved it, but it just won't get across Garden St."

Miss Mary H. Winslow, director of residence, yesterday cited uncertainty concerning the off-campus houses as the reason for the delay in some of the new room drawings. Formerly scheduled for March 29, the drawings have been postponed until after vacation.

Also at yesterday's meeting, Robert Zion '42, landscaping architect for the new study center, presented his plans to the trustees.

The center will be surrounded by every imaginable type of foliage, from wisteria-covered bowers to a forest of birch trees. In the middle of the forest, Zion intends to put an artificial twelve-foot waterfall.