RGA Head Says Council Opposes Longer Parietals

The Radcliffe College Council would veto any RGA proposal to extend parietal hours, Nora Ronhovde '66, president of the Radcliffe Government Association said yesterday.

The Council has the power to veto RGA legislation, but has never used it. Miss Ronhovde read a letter from Mrs. Helen H. Gilbert, acting president of Radcliffe, to the RGA legislature. It stated that a majority of the Council thinks "a change in the number of parietal hours would be contrary to the best interests of Radcliffe. The letter went on to say that the Council will take "formal action" on the issue at its next meeting Monday.

A motion to change parietals came up at the RGA meeting on March 13. The motion proposes "that the members of each Radcliffe dormitory be allowed to determine the number of parietal hours it shall have rather than being subject to the present RGA limit of 25 hours."

During yesterday's discussion of the motion, Erica L. Levise '65, president of $3 Brattle St., an apartment building converted into a dormitory, opposed an extension because "it would be impossible to enforce" a greater number of hours. Several representatives disagreed, maintaining that enforcement would not be affected by an increase.

Mrs. Gilbert plans to attend next Thursday's meeting of RGA to discuss the Council's opinion. Catherine D. Williston, dean of North House, told RGA yesterday "We may not convince you, but at least you'll have our point of view on it.

RGA will continue discussion of the motion at Thursday's meeting and will probably vote on it then.