SDS Will Assist In Fight Against Urban Renewal

The Harvard chapter of Students for a Democratic Society will help residents of North Harvard resist eviction by the Boston Redevelopment Authority when the BRA attempts to replace the low-income community with a development of high-rise, high-income apartments.

Leaders of the small community have challenged Boston Mayor John F. Collins and BRA administrator Edward J. Logue "to throw us out." SDS students will participate in sit-ins or do "whatever they ask us," Peter Orris '67, chairman, said yesterday.

People But Not Homes

SDS charged that Logue "projects a future where poor people may still exist but their homes definitely will not."

The BRA has set up a trailer as a temporary office in the middle of the community and has taken title to all the land. Many residents have refused to comply with an order that they pay rent to the BRA.

Paint Project

Abou 20 SDS members will also work to help residents paint their houses this spring, and prepare a neighborhood park. This will be SDS's second community project; another group of volunteers in already working in an area of Roxbury.

The North Harvard community lies behind the Business School, between North Harvard St. and Western Avenue. Many of the students who are helping the community to resist the BRA live in North Harvard themselves.