Quintet Squeaks Past Yale in Finale, 85-83

By Andrew Beyer

Harvard's basketball team staved off an eleventh-hour rally last night to end its season with an 85-83 victory over Yale.

Keith Sedlacek and Leo Scully led the Crimson with 30 and 22 points respectively. Sedlacek's output brought his season scoring total to 490, and all-time Harvard record. Merle McClung, playing the last game of his varsity career, scored 14 points for a 908 career total--fifth highest in Harvard history.

The hot shooting of Sedlacek and Scully had given the Crimson an apparently safe 79-70 lead with 3:25 to play. But Yale guard Herb Broqdfoot hit a long jumper, a pair of free throws, and a layup in the next minute, cutting Harvard's lead to 81-79.

With 1:58 to play, Sedlacek swished a short jump shot from the lane, but seconds later Yale came within two points again on a layup by Don Taylor.

The Elis were pressing tenaciously, but were unable to rattle Harvard's guards; with 57 seconds to go, Bobby Trupin fouled Sedlacek, who calmly swished a pair of three thrown. Eight seconds later Broadfoot sank two foul shots to make it 85-83.

Harvard again eluded the Eli press and had to freeze the ball for only 30 seconds to sew up the victory. But for some inexplicable reason Scully tried a 20-feet jump shot-and missed, giving Yale the ball. The Elis got two chances to score. Broadfoot missed a jumper from the corner, and Howard Dale missed a desperation 15-footer at the buzzer.

Yale had taken leads of 3-1 and 14-10 early in the game. But after Sedlacek scored on a fast break with 11:13 left in the half making the score 17-15, Harvard never relinquished the lead. The Crimson lead at halftime, 40 to 38, and gradually increased its lead throughout the second half until Yale's dramatic comeback.

Harvard's ended its season with a record of 11-12 overall and 6-8 in the League. Yale, which plays at Dartmouth tonight, holds down fourth place with a 6-7 mark; If the Indians can pull an amazing upset, the Crimson will edge its way into the first division for the first time since 1947.