Brewster Affirms Refusal to Grant Disputed Tenure

Kingman Brewster Jr. president of , yesterday announced his support of Tenure Appointments Committee's to grant tenure to Richard J. , associate professor of philosophy.

"Ultimately the faculty must decide the faculty should be. Appointments and promotions should not be made either presidential decrees or by student ," Brewster said in a public statement. He said his support of the Committee's decision was reinforced by the knowledge that the original vote of the Philosophy department supporting Bernstein's tenure was not "unqualified," student claims the contrary.

Furthermore, the Philosophy Department, reversed its decision on Sunday, 5-2 against Bernstein. This move considered to have been the final blow Bernstein's cause.

Welcome Home

Brewster returned from a West Indics last Thursday to find student in the midst of a three-day vigil the University Activities Building the Tenure Committee decision.

On Friday, Brewster announced that he review the decision, in an unusual of presidential power.

The final decision today means that contract with the university be terminated in June.

Neither Brewster, Bernstein, nor the pickets were available for yesterday.

Welcome Home

Welcome Home

Welcome Home