Overseers Name Ebert to Succeed Berry as Dean of Medical School

By Stephen L. Cotler

Dr. Robert H. Ebert, Jackson Professor of Clinical Medicine, will become Dean of the Faculty of Medicine on July 1. He will succeed Dr. George P. Berry.

Ebert came to Harvard in 1964 after eight years as Director of the Department of Medicine at Western Reserve University. Earlier, he was professor of Medicine at the University of Chicago.

William M. Pinkerton, News Officer for the University, said yesterday that "I myself would consider the appointment of the Dean of the Medical School to be" one of the most important news stories to come out of Harvard in ten years.

He confirmed that extra security measures had been taken to prevent premature disclosure of Ebert's appointment.

He emphasized that the appointment would affect the whole medical fraternity, both in the Boston area and across the nation." The News Office had planned to fly a messenger New York to deliver pictures to the major newspapers, decided to use wirephoto facilities instead.

Ebert's research has centered primarily on infections of the lungs, especially tuberculosis. He has investigated cellular and vascular responses to inflamation and hypersensitivity, and has sought to modify these responses through the use chemotherapy and adrenal steroids.

At a press conference yesterday, Ebert noted that two of the most important problems facing medical schools today maintaining active research into disease, and continuing superimentation in techniques of patient care.

He stated, "It is not true that we just need to apply what we already know." Research must continue, but "forced Manhattan Projects against disease" are not what is needed. Advances will still come from individuals and small groups, he added.

Ebert admitted that knowing the best way to provide medical care was still a pressing problem. "For example," he said, "we haven't used well-trained nurses as offectively as we might." He stressed that closer ties between schools, hospitals, and private physicians will help to improve medical care. "Medical schools will have to take more responsibility in the continuing education of doctors. Otherwise, it is very difficult for the physician to maintain, his medical knowledge."

"Medical care can best be delivered in a private system," Ebert said. "General socialized medicine would not be a good solution." He emphasized that it is very difficult to implement government-controlled medicine in a country as large as the United States.

However, he affirmed that Medicare is not tantamount to socialized medicine. "I am on record as favoring Medicare. It is a means of easing burdens on insurance plans and is actually a force away from governmental control."

Ebert said that although there is no immediate plan for increasing enrollment at the Medical School, it is probably possible to raise the number of students who come to Harvard after two years at another school. Harvard currently accepts students from Dartmouth and a few midwestern schools which have only two-year programs.