Faculty Gives Recognition To Thanksgiving Holiday

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences yesterday moved to extend formal recognition to the College's de facto Thanksgiving vacation.

By a unanimous vote, the Faculty recommended to the Corporation and the board of Overseers that the University take a vacation from Thanksgiving Day through the following Sunday.

The governing boards would normally be expected to give their approval unless one of the University's other Faculties objected to the vacation.

Classes held on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving have traditionally been held for the benefit of a select few. A University regulation requires, however, that classes be held unless the catalogue describes the course as meeting "at the pleasure of the instructor."

Lecturers accustomed to having only two or three of their students show up post-Thanksgiving meetings have taken to circumventing the rule by that their class would meet, that they would not be present. The Faculty also heard President Pusey the appointments of four new department chairmen. Keith R. Porter, of Biology, Elias J. Corey, of Chemistry, and Wendell , professor of Physics, were named chairmen of their respective departments. Howard S. Hibbett '44, professor Japanese Literature, was named chairman of the Department of Far Languages and Literatures. All the opintments are effective July 1.

Weary after six months of lengthy on the General Education program, Faculty approved the vacation, heard announcements, and adjourned 20 minutes, close to a track record.