U.N. Mediator Says Russia, France Correct in Protesting Dues Payment

The Russians and French are technically correct in not paying their U.N. dues for the peace-keeping operations in Israel and the Congo, the U.N. mediator between India and Pakistan said last night.

Addressing the Winthrop House Forum, Frank P. Graham explained that U.N. intervention in Israel and the Congo was ordered by the General Assembly and not by the Security Council. The U.N. Charter delegates this function only to the Security Council, he said.

Graham emphasized, however, that his own view was that the Charter must be interpreted liberally if the U.N. is to meet the peace-keeping needs of a troubled world. He commented that the American press rarely notes the Russian position, based on this clause of the charter.

Turning to the Vietnam situation, Graham endorsed Johnson's position on negotiation, but called for a plebiscite, conducted by the U.N., to be held in South Vietnam and other parts of Asia.

A former senator from North Carolina, and former president of the University of North Carolina, Graham endorsed a Congressional investigation into the Ku Klux Klan. He warned, however, that this not be conducted by the Committee on Un-American Activities. "We want to be sure that the investigation doesn't turn into a witch hunt which will be turned against leaders of the civil rights movement," he said.

Graham, whom the State Legislature of South Carolina has banned from its state universities for having praised Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement, criticized mass movements and marches which dangerously block bridges and roads. "Highways have been integrated for 100 years," he quipped.

When asked if the struggle between Negroes and whites would increase when educated Negroes start competing for skilled jobs, Graham said, "It's a hazard. There is tremendous racial strife in Chicago because of this."