Big Sports Day; Fans in Ecstasy

At Harvard, today is a day like all days. In Boston, it's Patriots Day--and the holiday gives local sports fans an extensive and varied lineup of events to see.

This morning 444 runners will jog from Hopkinton, Mass. to the Prudential Tower in the traditional 26-mile Boston Marathon. A Belgian, Aurele Vandendries, is favored in the gruelling race, while unpredictable Wait Hewlett is Harvard's leading entrant.

At 1:45 p.m. the local thoroughbred racing season opens at Suffolk Downs, in East Boston. The Suffolk meeting will last 66 days, and it promises to be the best in the track's history. Today's card is headed by the $6500 Patriots Day Handicap.

The Red Sox will host the Washington Senators in a Fenway Park doubleheader at 1:30 p.m. Two promising youngsters. Dave Morehead and Jim Lonborg, will pitch against Buster Narum and Bennie Daniels.

This evening the Boston Celtics will dismember the Los Angeles Lakers in the second game of the NBA playoffs.

If this glut of activities isn't sufficient, those sport fans seeking truly mindless entertainment can attend the opening of Raynham Park, which kicks off the 1965 New England dog racing season.