Netmen Battle Penn Today

By Boisfeuillet JONES Jr.

The moment of truth has arrived for the Harvard tennis team. Undefeated, runscored upon since returning from the Southern tour, the Crimson must play the underdog role against Penn in Philadelphia.

Today's winner will determine who, if anyone, is likely to end Princeton's domination over the Eastern Inter-collegiate Tennis League.

Last year Penn, playing on Harvard's slow courts, lost 6-2 because of weakness at the bottom of the ladder. This year Penn has added three powerful sophomores to its lineup, and the three players who won last year for Penn are back again this year.

But the most decided advantage for the Quakers will be the home courts, which are hard and fast. The Harvard players on the whole play a slow-court game relying on steady ground strokes to win. The Penn players, however, are the boom-boom type with blasing serves and blast tactics: just the style for hard courts.

In order to adjust to the power game Harvard coach Jack Barnaby has been practicing his team on hard courts where he held a series of test matches to decide the "fast surface lineup."

Chum Steele, Harvard's one really big-game player, overpowered Dave Benjamin and Clive Kileff to move into the top spot. The other reshuffling was at the bottom of the ladder, where Richie Friedman downed Terry Robinson for the number five position.

In doubles, Brian Davis and Dick Apple-by gained number two by beating Kileff and Benjamin.

Penn's lineup will probably be a mystery until match-time today. You can be sure big Balley Brown and Captain John Reese will be in the top two positions, one way or the other.

Brown, at two last year, swamped Steele in straight sets despite an injured shoulder. Steele may pull through this time, but Harvard cannot count on his match. Harvard must not depend on a win from Benjamin, either. His recent back injury, coupled with his baseline game, makes him a definite underdog.

Number three will be crucial. Kileff will have to be at top form to stop talented Quaker sophomore Clay Hamlin.

Crimson captain Dean Peckham (four), with his hard serve, is a favorite over likely opponent Rich Kolker.

Either Friedman or Robinson, maybe both, must defeat Quakers Ed Serues and Fred George to keep Harvard in the running.

Harvard will have to win at least two of the doubles. Steele and Peckham won at one last year in a tense match over Brown and Reese, but Kileff and Benjamin dropped number three. Harvard can expect a split here.

Davis and Appleby, are a strong second second team, but may have trouble if Penn places Brown here, instead of at one, to get more depth.