House Panel Lets NASA Keep Money

By Robert J. Samuelson

The House Space Committee yesterday narrowly defeated a motion that have long delayed--and possibly -- construction of the $60 million Nation Aeronautics and space administration electronics laboratory Kendall Square.

a 15--13 vote the committee rejected motion that would have prohibited NASA from spending any money on the laboratory until it could acquire title the entire 29-acre plot in Kendall square. The plot has already been eligible for an urban renewal , and Cambridge Mayor Edward Crane '35 has estimated that it will about eight months for the City transfer a "beachhead" to NASA.

Had the committee approved the however, the entire area would had to be cleared before NASA begin any construction. Even under program, the process of relocating s currently located in Kendall Square have taken months, and perhaps .

During this time, NASA would have prohibited from spending any part $13.5 million that has already been appropriated for the laboratory.

Nevertheless, the House committee cut $10 million of additional construction funds from NASA's current budget. because of $13.5 million is enough work during fiscal 1966, proponents laboratory were not worried about committee's cut.

Despite the committee's apparent fable action, John J. Brenan, a opponent of the NASA laboratory, he was "enchanted with the vote". closeness of the ballot indicated pread opposition to the project. aid indicating, that there would be attempt in Congress to kill it.

There are several things planned," declared, "I know what they are, but cannot tell you."

Opponents could attempt to re-impose crippling restriction on the floor of the House or the Senats or in a committee.