Tennis Team Takes on Though Tigers: Eastern League Title Up for Grabs

By Boisfeuillet JONES Jr.

In 1961 Princeton clobbered an unbeaten Harvard tennis team, 8-1, and ever since, the Tigers have been making understood just who owns the Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis League.

During the following years, three more undefeated Crimson teams went the way of all Tiger opponents in the straight down. Last spring, however, Harvard pressed Princeton to the before bowing, 5-4. Today's match Princeton should be just as close.

Princeton has depended primarily on -graduated superstars, like Drayton and Herb Fitzgibbon. Last year at Harvard, for instance, Fitzgibbon was the only player on either team not to lose singles or doubles.

Today it is Harvard which must count winning the top matches. Number one Chum Steele, who hasn't dropped a this season, faces Tiger speedstar Keith Jennings. The graceful Jennings plays a game based on quickness and consistency, while Steele is a big hitter. If Steele can maintain control and concentration, he may blow Jennings off the court. But that's a big "if," especially against Jennings.

Dave Benjamin (number two) will have to play better than he has in recent matches in order to down Princeton's hard-hitting C. D. Smith. Recovering from a back ailment, Benjamin has been extended to long three-set matches by mediocre opponents in the last week. Yet Benjamin's tricky variety of shots is just the thing to throw off Smith's pace.

At three, Harvard's Clive Kileff pairs off with Ham Magill in a baseline battle. Two years ago Magill blitzed Kileff, 6-0, 6-0; last year Magill edged him, 6-4, 3-6, 6-2; this year, who knows? In his early matches this season, Magill has been playing below his best. This duel will be crucial.

Harvard's most likely win is at four. Crimson captain Dean Peckham faces Lee Rawls, whom he blasted 6-0, 6-1 last year. Rawls had missed three weeks of practice prior to the match, but Peckham's serve would have been too sharp for him anyway.

Princeton is slightly favored in the bottom two matches. Tiger captain Warren Daane, a three-year veteran retriever, will have a marathon match with the equally steady Richie Friedman. In the sixth spot, Harvard's Terry Robinson will match touchshots with Jim Lemons.

Doubles, Harvard's strongest advantage, could prove to be the saving grace. If the singles split 3-3, Harvard is in high cotton; if the Crimson's down 4-2, there is still hope. Princeton has no wizard like Fitzgibbon this year to ensure at least one doubles victory.

Peckham and Steele have the guns all over Jennings and Rawls, and should control the attack. In the number two doubles, Harvard sophomores Brian Davis and Dick Appleby, though very aggressive, will be under considerable pressure against oldtimers Daane and Lemons, winning third doubles last year against Benjamin and Kileff had little trouble Magill, but Smith, his new partner, will add some needed power to the combination.