Crew Stops Navy, Penn, Enters Sprint Unbeaten

Both the heavyweight and lightweight Crimson crews won races by impressive margins over the weekend to carry undefeated records into next week's all-important Eastern sprints at Worcester.

The heavies defeated Navy by five and one-half lengths and Penn by another two lengths and will go to the Sprints as unanimous favorites. The lightweights, after a decisive triumph over Yale and Princeton, will travel to Worcester, as co-favorites with Cornell in their class.

For the heavyweight crow Saturday's race at Navy was a new experience--the night did not break a record. A stiff headwind on the Severn slowed the race considerably Harvard finished 8:52.5, well off the 8:24.2 record for the one and three quarter mile distance set in 1941 by another Crimson crew.

The heavies did not use their Swiss-designed Stampfil shell at Navy because the shall wouldn't have arrived back from Annapolis until Tuesday, depriving the crew of two days' practice this week. Although the shorter Stampfil is not appreciably waster than the traditional American shell, the Crimson prefers it and wants to use it all week in preparation for the Sprints.

In the lightweight class, the varsity crew won the Goldthwale Cup by finishing one-half lengths and we over Yale and six and one-quarter laps over Princeton.

The JV lightweight crew had no trouble in their race with Yale and Princeton, asking the Coolidge Bowl Trophy with 6:42.4 performance.