Buchanan Ties for First In Golf Tourney at Yale

Harvard's Jim Buchanan shot a 77.74--151 over the tough Yale Golf course and finished in a three-way tie for low medalist in the Eastern Intercollegiate Golf Championships Saturday.

Buchanan, after a sizzling start on the second eighteen, when he hit the first 10 greens in regulation and went one under par--faltered with a bogey on 1.7 and a double bogey on 18, missing a chance to take sole possession of the title.

Buchanan shared honors with Yale's Dodd Fisher and Harry Joyner of Army. Buchanan had beaten Fisher the week before in the Harvard-Yale match at the Country Club in Brookline. Joyner sank a wedge shot for an eagle on the 34th hole to join the deadlock.

After 36 holes on Saturday to determine both the team championship and the low medal, or stroke, scorers, the field was cut to 16 golfers for the match play championship. Buchanan, the only Crimson player whose Saturday score qualified him for the match play competition, was eliminated in the first round by Penn's George Haines, 7 and 6.

On Saturday, as tournament officials tried to cram competitors from 16 Eastern colleges on to the 18-hole Yale lay-out, Buchanan spent 11 hours out on the course. Harvard Captain Cup Campen described the course as "a monster," hilly with big traps, elevated greens, and a number of gargantuan par-fours.