Crimson Nine Plays at Brandeis; Judges' Hurler Holds NCAA Mark

By R.andrew Beyer

Harvard baseball teams have defeated Brandeis nine times in ten meetings between the two schools, and in the last five years the Crimson has averaged nearly 20 runs per game against the hapless Judges. This season Brandeis has a 5-7-1 mark and is 1-4 in the Greater Boston League; in those five GBL games Brandeis has yielded an astronomic 56 runs.

The Crimson baseball nine, seeking its fourth straight GBL title, plays at Brandeis at 3:30 this afternoon. These statistics might lead one to expect utter carnage on the diamond, but the Crimson in actually is going to have a very rough time.

Harvard's chief worry is a Brandeis senior named Fred Marden. People at Brandeis feel he's the best baseball player the school has ever had, and the big leagues seem to concur. Marden has already been contacted by 12 major league teams.

Marden is a pitcher and outfielder. His batting average is 354, but his prowess at the plate is dwarfed by his amazing pitching. Marston's record is 4-2-1; in 58 innings he has struck out 102 batters, given up only 35 hits, and issued 43 walks. His earned run average is 3.26.

The real eye-opener was Marden's performance against Norwich two weeks ago. The game went 12 innings and ended in a 3-3 tie, but in those twelve innings the southpaw fastballer struck out an incredible 26 batters. In the regulation nine innings he fanned 20. The performance tied an NCAA record.

Sadly, Marden has not had much support from his teammates. The only other reliable hitter on the team is second baseman. Bob Plunkett, who is batting around .200. The Justices' fielding, however, has been enough to drive any pitcher into the looney bin. In its five GBL contests, Brandeis has averaged six errors per game.

John Scott will probably start the game for Harvard. A victory would give the Crimson a 4-1 mark in, GBL play and solidify their chances for the title.