MBTA May Sell Bennett St. Yards To 'Kennedy Library at Below Cost

The John F. Kennedy Memorial Library may be able to acquire the Bennett St. MBTA yards at less than their full market value, Mayor Edward A. Crane '35 said yesterday. "People who are close to the thing know that a price can be arranged," Crane told the City Council at its weekly meeting.

He did not specify, however, whether someone or some foundation might be willing to help buy the Yards at the market price or whether the MBTA might be willing to sell the area at less than its full value.

The Yards are generally considered to be the first choice of most Library officials, but the high purchasing price is reliably reported to be a major stumbling block to their acquisition. When the Yards were first put up for sale in 1962, the University bid about $6 million for the 12 acre area.

Crane's remarks followed a debate in the City Council over the desirability of locating the Library on the Yards. Councillor Alfred E. Vellucci introduced an order declaring that the "City Council go on record as favoring the Bennett St. Yards as the site of the proposed John F. Kennedy Memorial Library."

Daniel J. Hayes, chairman of the Council's special committee on the Yards, opposed the motion on the grounds that it would give the Library a "blank check" to take the entire 12 acres.

Thomas H. D. Mahoney said that because the land was owned by the MBTA, the Council had no power over the sale, and that therefore any action the Council might take was without meaning. Vellucci's motion was defeated 5-4, although both Crane and Vellucci, the vice-mayor supported it vigorously.