Tony Lynch Named Track Captain; Hurdler Holds Three Heps Crowns

The track team has elected Anthony Lynch '66, of Winthrop House and International Falls, Minn., as captain for 1965-66.

The election was announced at the team's annual banquet Sunday night.

Lynch is indoor Heptagonal 60-yard hurdles champion. In this month's outdoor Heps championships he won the 120-yard high hurdles championships, finished second in the 440-yard low hurdles, and run the leadoff leg on the winning mile relay team. He holds the Harvard record and the Harvard Stadium record of 51.5 seconds in the 440-yard low hurdles.

A leading contender for this year's IC4A 440-yard hurdles championship, Lynch was second in the event last year behind Manhattan's Vince McArdie, who has since graduated.

Lynch has lost only to Colgate's Dick Johnson (in the Penn Relays) and to Navy's Cortland Gray (in the Heptagonals) in the 440-yard hurdles this year. He has traded wins all year in the high hurdles with teammate Aggrey Awori, in times as low as 14.2 seconds.

Lynch's times in both hurdles events this year qualify him for the NCAA championships. In last year's NCAA's, Lynch finished fourth in the 400-meter hurdles.

He succeeds weight thrower Art Croasdale as captain.