'Cliffe Tightens Reading Period's Overnight Rules

By Nancy H. Davis

Radcliffe is cracking down on the long-overlooked rule that all students "are expected to be in Cambridge during reading period."

'Cliffles wishing to leave Cambridge for more than four days during reading period must consult their House Dean, the Radcliffe Deans' Office announced yesterday.

A stiffer version of this regulation was announced at dinner Monday and posted in all dormitories. The notices said that, in addition to the present requirement, "those wishing to leave Cambridge for less than four days must consult their senior residents."

A petition objecting to that rule on the grounds that it is a violation of Cliffles' rights was posted in the Moors Hall elevator and passed from door to door soon after the announcement Monday evening.

Yesterday afternoon, the Radcliffe administration "clarified" the rule. It now states that 'Cliffles must get permission to leave Cambridge only if they are to be away for more than four days.

Margaret W. Rossiter '66, one of those who circulated Monday's petition, commented that the rules as stated Monday evening were, "in effect, freshman rules."

Katherine O. Elliott, Dean of the College, noted that "some students felt that the action was not in accord with the constitution of he RGA." She said that the new memorandum had been sent out yesterday to clarify Radcliffe's position on overnights.

The Redbook, which contains the RGA constitution and Radcliffe's social rules, says only that the RGA "shall establish social and other rules and regulations," but that rules made by college officers "take precedence over legislation by the association."

The notice now posted on the bulletin boards of the dormitories emphasizes that the rule is not a social regulation but an academic one, made by Harvard, and that Radcliffe is expected to abide by the same academic rules as Harvard.