Golfers Bow to Yale, 5-2, As Campen, Buchanan Win

By Stephen L. Cotler

Uniformly strong, Yale was too good. We were better than we have been for quite a few years, but we couldn't pull it througt.

The Crimson golf team, playing at The Country Club in Brookline (sits of the '63 U.S. open), battled a perennially powerful Bulldog septet and lost 5-2. Harvard captain Dormey Campen at number one, and Jim Buchanan at number three were the only Crimson winners.

Buchanan, who has been playing extremely well this season, swung through the windswept course in a very professional par 71, winning his match 3 and 1, and boosting his record to 8-2. The team record now stands at 8-2.

Campen's victory was closest of the day. All even after 17 holes, he found himself sitting only one foot away from the hole, on the par-four eighteenth. Yale's number-one player, sophomore Jim Rogers, was also shooting his fourth shot, but he was over 30 feet away in the rough. Campen calmly watched Rogers putt the ball through the three inch grass, over the apron, across the green, and into the cup.

After halving the nineteenth, the two golfers faced off again on the twentieth with 12-foot birdie putts. Rogers, away by about six inches, swung and missed, and Campen stroked it in for the win.

The only other close match came from seventh-man peter Tague, who lost one up after 19 holes. Brian McGuinn, playing in the second slot, faced former Easterns champion Dan Hogan, and lost 4 and 3. The middle of the Crimson squad was no match for Yale's depth, as Mike Millis, John Hawkins, and Steve Bergman all lost by at least three holes.

The Yardlings also played Yale, and they too were beaten 5-2. The Crimson, which has beaten Yale only once in, 25 years, may have blown its chance; Yale will be better next year, Harvard win not.