Band Serenades 25th; '40 Reunion Continues At Essex Club Today

By Ann Peck

The Square and Yard were splendiferous yesterday with the bright boaters of inbound members of the Class of 1940 as they began four days of 25th reunion festivities.

The Essex Country Club will be the starting point for today's activities. Members, their wives, and eldest children will play golf and tennis, swim and tour the North Shore during the morning, and then polish off the traditional lobster luncheon.

In the evening, Arthur Cantor and Alan Jay Lerner, members of '40, have prepared a musicale which will be presented at the North Shore Music Theatre.

Schneider's band started off the weeklong party with a concert at the Union yesterday, after which the Class and their wives were shuttled over to Harkness Commons for dinner and a concert with the band and Glee Club. President and Mrs. Pusey were guests of honor.

Late afternoon rain did not dampen the high spirits of the reunion's first day. In their reunion kits, members received rain hats for themselves and their wives. They were also given a choice of emblemmed wastebaskets, ashtrays, soap, drinking cups, and the traditional four-in-hand class tie. Tootsie rolls, a cigarette lighter mounted atop a grapefruit soda can--"for classmates, wives, and seniors only"--and Greek bags for the ladies were also offered.

Two symposia are scheduled for Tuesday morning on "Science and Education," and "Communications in the Modern World." Tours of the Loeb Drama Center and the Yard will be given in the afternoon, followed by a symposium on "Harvard College Today," with Franklin L. Ford, dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, and Fred L. Glimp, dean of Admissions and Financial Aid.

Glee Club Goes Pops

Members of the Class will cross the river to the new Palmer Dixon Tennis Courts for cocktails and dinner Tuesday evening. Later, Arthur Fiedler will conduct the Boston Pops and Harvard Glee Club in a concert at Symphony Hall. A movie of the 1938 Henley Regatta will be shown at 11 p.m. at the Hasty Pudding Clubhouse, 'the Class' social center.

Louis Hartz '40, professor of Government, will moderate a forum on "International Relations" Wednesday morning. At 11 a.m., Radcliffe College will hold its 82nd commencement ceremonies. Mary I. Bunting, president of the College who returns after a year with the Atomic Energy Commission, will address the graduating seniors.