Social Scientists Will Race Boats At William James

By Robert C. Spencer

Been to the submarine races lately? Well, the behavioral scientists are holding one for hand-made crafts in the reflecting pool in front of William James Hall at 12:30 today, and the public is invited.

In the submarine division of the First Annual Willam James Hall Boat Race, Stanley Milgram, assistant professor of Social Psychology, appears to be the prime contender with a hull made of a baby bottle with a carbon dioxide cartridge for a propulsion unit. The craft is supposed to run submerged for most of the race and surface at the finish.

The other submarine entry is a propellor-driven job with twin rudders. While expected to be somewhat slower than Milgram's, its directional orientation is likely to be more reliable.

Robert W. White '25, professor of Clinical Psychology, has entered the motor-powered class with two hand-hewn shingle boats. Opposing him will be an entry from William R. Ridington Jr., graduate student in anthropology. His craft is a modified cigar-box powered by an electric outboard moter. Optimistic about his chances, Ridington is making last-minute alterations in the craft's guidance system to correct its tendency to cruise in tight circles.

A long-shot in the motor division is an entry from the experimental psychologists. Though a closely guarded secret, the craft is rumored to be propelled by white rats.

Favored in the sailing division is an entry by Dexter C. Dunphy, lecturer on Social Relations, and co-director of the regatta. Dunphy appears to be running unopposed so far, but entries will be accepted until race time. In any case Dunphy hopes to set a course record.