14 Professors to Take Leaves During 1964-65

Fourteen professors in four departments well take leaves of absence during the 1964-65 academic year. The professors--three in Economics, four in English, four in History, and three in Mathematics--give seven full courses and 14 half courses.

In the English Department, Walter J. Bate '39, Abbott Lawrence Lowell Professor of the Humanities, will be on sabbatical during the Full term. Donald H. Fleming, professor of History and chairman of the department, will be gone for the entire year.

The three professors of Mathematics are Raoul Bott, whose specialty is topology; Andrew M. Gleason, an expert in everything from algebra to analysis; and John T. Tate, algebra.

In the Economics Department, Richard M. Caves, professor of Economics, who gives the undergraduate course on international trade, and Robert Dorfman, professor of Economics, will be away for the entire year, and Simon B. Kuznets, professor of Economics, will be gone for the Full term.

The department also expects Otto Eckstein, professor of Economics, who is currently serving as a member of the three-man President's Council of Economics Advisors, to return in the spring term.

Alfred B. Harbage, Henry B. and Anne M. Cabot professor of English, and David D. Perkins '61, professor of English, will be on sabbatical for the Fall term. Reuben A. Bower, professor of English and master of Adams House, who gives the middle-level course in recent English Literature, will be gone for the whole year.

Richard E. Pipes, professor of History, who gives the course on Imperial Russian history, will be on sabbatical for the whole year, Samuel E. Thorne, professor of Legal History, will be gone during the Full term, and John V, Kelleher, professor of Modern Irish Literature and History, who also gives courses in the English and Celtic departments, will take the Spring Term off.