Cambridge's First Discotheque Is Opened in Harvard Square

By Daniel J. Singal

Cambridge's first Discotheque has opened in the basement of the Club Henry IV on Winthrop Street.

John Shepard, the manager of La Discotheque Nicole says that Cambridge has long needed a discotheque to bridge the gap between the record hop and the live band. A discotheque employs at least two high-fidelity turntables to provide continuous dance music and usually has a specially constructed dance floor. A discotheque also features moderate prices; the average tab at the Nicole runs two dollars per person.

French Expert

The discotheque idea began in Paris about five years ago and quickly spread through Europe. New York Francophiles soon founded similar night spots, such as Shepheard's, Arthur, and II Mil, which all depart from discotheque tradition by featuring eacophonous bands along with the usual LP platters. La Discotheque Nicole is closer to the French version; it is small, has only recorded music, and keeps down the sound level to permit conversation.

Shepard has stocked a good selection of French and Italian rock and roll artists, such as Francoise Hardy, Sylvie Vartan, and Fausto Papetti, in addition to current American favorites. As at all good discotheques, guests may make their own requests. If he does not have the record, Shepard will try to get it, no matter what country it might come from.

Hangers-on

Not everyone at the discotheque comes to dance. "People just come in to drink and chat, and that's fine by us," said Shepard. According to him, many people peek in between eight and ten every night, but decide to come back later when the crowed is larger. Things get going when a few brave souls finally congregate shortly after ten. "If the early ones would only stay, I'm sure a group would collect by nine," Shepard mused.