Ten-Week Sessions Urged By Students

By Stephen E. Cotton

A group of Summer School students Friday asked the Visiting Committee on the Summer School to recommend that summer sessions for some or all courses be lengthened to at least ten weeks.

The student group, which included three enrolled in eight-hour-a-day Chem 20, was said to have complained of the absence of a lunch break and the long hours in that and other lab science courses. The students also asked that Lamont Library be kept open on Saturdays.

A luncheon session Friday afternoon marked the first time that students have met with members of the 17-man committee of the Board of Overseers.

One of the 15 students who attended the meeting complained last night that it was too short. "They left only ten minutes for us to bring up our own ideas, "she said. "We barely got started."

The request for longer summer sessions reportedly has never before been suggested as an official Summer School policy. Thomas E. Crooks, director of the Summer School, said last night that he has occasionally recommended that individual courses be taught in tenweek sessions.

"When someone comes to me and says that they want to teach a course but they can't do it in eight weeks, my natural response is to ask, 'How about ten?' "He said that no departments have followed the suggestion.

Crooks said he favored opening the library on Saturdays, but added that "every time we've had it open all week-end we've found no one has used it."