Speakers See for Govt. Two Levels

government officials "Big Government and Local army" at the third International Seminar Forum last night. Necessity of federalism was the common to their discussions division of power in their Countries.

The Van Dijk, a sociologist as a member of parliament from Netherlands, described the rapid of central government over last century in Europe. The people from the villages to industrial cities has created a security in the lives of said.

Government helps provide this security with pensions and but, Van Dijk emphasis the deep roots in the past in Local Autonomy is an balance to central power, remain so, as certain work is done by the local and province governments.

in Germany is not but Walter Tiemann, trade and member of the parliament, defended pointed to the ancient tradition local government in the Holy Empire preceding the create federal states after World . The special competences of general states, such as building education should hampered with because of a for unity and said.

The Jaegar, Secretary of Edu- ention and Cultural Affairs, State Government, Rio Grande do Sul, explained the two-way approach of autonomy and centralization towards education in Brazil. The Federal government aids lower education which remains a local responsibility, decentralized in content as well as administration. While universities have full autonomy, they are financed by the state.

Nigeria too has decentralized education; "the central government minds its own business," said Augustine Nwachukwu, an administrative officer of the Eastern Nigerian government. He went on to discuss the problems of administering the three states which make up Nigeria. The government strives to let each maintain its cultural distinctiveness.

Harris Salleh, Minister of Finance, in the state of Sabah in Malaysia, works with a people who have the same culture; the problem is strengthening the central government