4 New Appointments Beef Up L.A. Studies

Harvard's Latin-American studies program will begin its long-expected expansion next fall when four senior Faculty members in the field will come to the University.

Gino Germani, an Italian Sociologist and a student of modern Argentina; Enrique Anderson-Imbert, an Argentine literary critic; John H. Parry, a British historian of Spanish settlement in America; and Albert O. Hirschman, an economist specializing in Latin American development, will begin teaching here next year.

Germani will join the Faculty January 1, the others in the fall.

Franklin L. Ford, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences announced in the spring of 1964 that the University hoped to expand its Latin-American studies program. A $12.5 million grant from the Ford Foundation for the study of "international studies" raised hopes that a Latin American studies center could be opened in the proposed International Studies building, scheduled for completion in five years.

Harvard has had few senior Faculty members in Latin American affairs; in recent years several Latin Americans have taught here on visiting professorships.

Germani, 54, will become Monroe Gutman professor of Latin American Affairs. He studied at the University of Rome and has been at the University of Buenos Aires since 1934.

A prize-winning novelist, Anderson-Imbert has also written a History of Spanish-American Literature. He taught at Argentine universities until 1947 when he came to this country; at present he is on the faculty of the University of Michigan. He is 55 years old.

Parry, 51, comes to Harvard from the University of Wales, where he has been vice-chancellor. Earlier he was principal of University College in Nigeria.

Hirschman has spent 1964-65 studying the World Bank's experience in assisting underdeveloped countries. He earlier spent four years in Colombia, first as an economic adviser to the National Planning Board and then as a private consultant.