Runners Go in K of C's Tomorrow

Steve Schoonover, Jim Baker, and the mile and two-mile relay teams will be after University indoor records when the trackmen take to the boards in Boston Garden tomorrow night in the Knights of Columbus meet. Trials in running events begin about 7:15 p.m.

Schoonover pushed his pole vault mark to 14 ft., 3 in. in Briggs Cage last weekend and cleared 14 ft., 6 in., only to topple the crossbar on the way down. With a long runway, a high ceiling and strong competition, tomorrow, he should go higher still. But he won't beat John Pennel, the feature attraction in the K of C's. Pennel not either an American or a world record--depending on which paper you read--on the West Coast last weekend.

Baker will probably run only one race, the two-mile, and he'll be shooting for Walt Hewiett's Harvard indoor record of 9:11.6. His competitors will include high school sensation Art Dulong of Randolph, who ran a 9:09.8 on a flat asphalt track last week.

Coach Bill McCurdy hasn't decided yet which runners he'll send in the relays, but any one of several combinations would have a good shot at the existing marks.

Football halfback John Dockery ran a 0:49.7 quarter upstairs in Briggs Cage yesterday, the best time of the season. He'll probably lead off in the mile relay, and may be followed by Captain Tony Lynch, Bob Cook, and Sam Robinson, another halfback.

The University record in this one 3:19.6, has stood since 1955. Tomorrow night's race featuring quartets from Morgan State, Villanova, and Southern University, should go in about 3:16.

The two-mile relay mark is almost certain to fall. Jeff Huvelle, Frank Haggerty, Trey Burns, and Bob Stempson--all sophomores--are likely to be the four men to topple it. The existing mark is 7:47.1, a good 15 seconds slower than the winning team will have to run tomorrow night. Villanova, Seton Hall, Georgetown, and Quantico are all expected to enter squads.

Huvelle will also compete in the 500, where he was a surprise winner as a freshman last year. Lynch, who will run the hurdles, and Robinson, who may go in the dash, will probably be the only other Crimson performers to try two events.

Chris Pardee, who has not been tested in the high jump thus far this winter, will be in the spotlight against Southern University's Richard Ross and Maryland's Frank Costello. Both have cleared 7 ft.

On his last visit to the Garden, in the 1965 Boston Athletic Association games, Pardee went over 6 ft., 10 in. but clipped the bar on the way down. That was the highest he got all season.

Wayne Anderson, the defending Heptagonal sprint champion, has been off his form so far this winter. He will team with Robinson and either Carter Lord or Andy Cahners in the 45-yard dash.

Cahners and possibly Harvey Thomas will back up Lynch in the hurdles.