2 Crimson Relay Squads Run in BAA Indoor Meet

A few members of the varsity track team will shake off exam-period stupor and run in the Boston Athletic Association Games in the Boston Garden Saturday night.

The Crimson will definitely enter varsity mile and two-mile relay teams, but most of the top individual runners will miss the meet - they stopped running during exam period.

Sophomore Jeff Huvelle will enter the Ryder 440, a special race for New England collegians. In the Knights of Columbus Games two weeks ago. Huvelle was fourth behind Walt Fitzpatrick of Central Connecticut State College in a 500-yard run.

Huvelle will also anchor the mile relay team, and John Dockery, Bob Cook, and Tony Lynch are expected to run the other legs. Lynch won't enter his speciality, the hurdles, however.

In the two-mile relay, Tony Burns and Jim Baker will stay at home, leaving Bob Stempson, Howle Foss, and Chuck Redman to run three of the four legs.

Coach Bill McCurdy explained that he didn't ask his runners to train during exam period, and that he'd leave it up to each of them to decide whether he wanted to compete. "We won't know exactly who'll be running until Saturday night." McCurdy said.

In the field events, Chris Pardee may enter the high jump, and Steve Schoonover the pole vault. Pardee hasn't competed since the Army meet in early December, when he cleared 6 ft. 8 in. Charlie Njoku may join him in the event.

Schoonover cleared 13 ft. 6 in. in the Knights of Columbus meet, but went out at 14 ft. John Pennel, who won the K of C meet with a 16 ft. pole vault, will be headlining the cast at the Garden Saturday. Sprinters Sam Perry, George Anderson, and Darrell Newman, middle-distance men Tom Farrell. Theron Lewis, Olan Cassell, and Bill Crothers, and miler Josef Odlozil are also on the program. Marie Mulder, the U.S. record holder, will face Antje Gleichfeld of Germany in a woman's half-mile.