Quintet Outclassed in Detroit Tourney, Tops Western Ontario for Fourth Win

By R. ANDREW Beyer

After losing a succession of heart-breakers, Harvard's basketball team is starting to get smashed in a nice straight-forward manner. And the worst is yet to come.

The Crimson played four games over the holidays, and lost three. They bowed to Tufts, 87 to 85, on December 17. In the Detroit Motor City Tournament the quintet lost to Detroit, to 63, and Eastern Kentucky, 90 to 76. Last Thursday Harvard finally gained its fourth victory of the season by triturating Western Ontario, 94 to 62.

Neville Sparkles

There were only two real bright spots for Harvard on the trip. Keith Sedlacek performed brilliantly, scoring 92 points in four games. And senior guard George Neville seems to be rounding into a good ballplayer.

Harvard's game against Tufts was the third this year which the Crimson blew in the last ten seconds of play -- and by far the most agonizing. Thanks to Barry Williams' best shooting performance of the year, Harvard led throughout the first half. Tufts battled back gamely to pull in front, 70 to 63, and then the Crimson unleashed its full-court press to even up the game.

With ten seconds to play, the score was tied at 85-all, and Harvard had the ball out of bounds at midcourt. Gene Dressler threw a looping pass into the backcourt over the head of guard Bob Seller -- who fell down. The Jumbos' Pete Scully picked up the loose ball, drew a foul, and rank two free throws to give Tufts the victory.

Big-Time Competition

Harvard was clearly outclassed against Detroit. The Titans have a fine team, and they play a big-time schedule. Their star is 6-8 center Dorie Murrey, who had scored 44 points against nationally ranked Minnesota.

Detroit pulled in front after five minutes, but midway through the first half Murrey collected his third personal foul and was relegated to the bench. But Harvard was outrebounded so badly, and its shooting was so poor, that the Titans actually extended their lead while Murrey was on the bench and won with case.

The Crimson shot only 34.8 per cent from the floor and was outrebounded, 61 to 38. Sedlacek provided almost all the team's offense, sinking 11 for 21 for 27 points.

Colonels Too Big

Western Kennedy had looked miserable losing to Maryland in the first round of the tournament, but their height was sufficient to give them a victory over the Crimson. The Colonels' front line averaged 6-8, and they were good shooters too. Ed Bodkin, a 6-7 forward, hit 10 for 13 shots in the second half, scored 37 for the game, and shared the tourney's most valuable player award.

Sedlacek fired in 26 points for Harvard, and Neville sank eight of thirteen shots for 17 points.

Harvard had a fine night against Western Ontario, a team which was about the Crimson's size. Five players scored in double figures; Gene Dressler regained his shooting eye and led the team with 18 points.

Tomorrow night the quintet plays at at MIT. After that, the party's over. Harvard opens its grueling Ivy League schedule at home this weekend against Columbia and Cornell.

Neville Sparkles

Big-Time Competition

Colonels Too Big