Sextet Scares Toronto, Splits 2 Other Games

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

A fluke goal with two-and-a-half minutes to play gave the Yale hockey team a squeaky 3-2 win over Harvard in the finals of the Nichols Tournament in Buffalo Saturday night. The Crimson icemen, in their second festival of the holiday season, defeated Princeton, 6 to 3, on New Year's Eve to set up the championship game.

In the Boston Garden Christmas Festival December 13, the Crimson fall to the University of Toronto, 7 to 5, Pete Waldinger's three goals led Harvard in its best performance of the year, against a squad that was voted best in the tournament and is possibly the best college team in North America.

Saturday's loss to the Elis before a packed house in the Nichols School Rink was a tough one to swallow. Harvard missed three clean breakaways, had shots on net to Yale's 20, and was off target with countless other tries but found goals as hard to come by as taxis in New York City.

Yale Takes Lead

Yale took a 1-0 lead in the first period on a goal by Tod Carey, and Jackie Morrison's score after three minutes of the second period made it 2 to 0.

Kent Parrot's 15-footer at 3:20 of the third period, after passes from Ben Smith and Chip Scammon, sparked the Crimson comeback. In his next turn on the ice, the sophomore center deflected a shot by Waldinger and the game was tied.

Harvard couldn't put across the leader, and at 17:25 Yale's Dan Harris scooped the puck from the covering grasp of Crimson goalie Bill Fitzsimmons. Off Harris's stick, the puck dribbled faintly over the goal line to give Yale the championship.

Princeton checked hard but had little finesse in a rough semi-final match which saw seven penalties called against both teams. Sophomore defenseman Bob Carr registered twice, senior wing Jorge Gonzalez got his first goal of the year, and Pete Miller tallied for the third game in a row in the solid 6-3 drubbing.

Harvard held a 2-1 edge over Toronto two minutes into the second period on goals by Ben Smith and Waldinger. But the touring Canadians ripped off five scores in succession and the Crimson's late surge could only narrow the final margin.

Waldinger, who had an assist on Smith's goal under his hat trick, was named to the All-Star team of the six-school Garden tourney.

In other festival action, Cornell, the class of the Ivies this winter, romped to the ECAC Holiday championship with a 5-2 win over St. Lawrence, and Toronto smashed Michigan Tech, defending NCAA champs, 6 to 2, in the Great Lakes Invitational.

Yale Takes Lead