Crimson Booters Pursue League-Leading Bruins

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

Brown still rides, with the seeming invincibility of Mordor, atop the soccer world; but last weekend's games singled out Harvard as the Ivies' Frodo Baggins, possessing the only chance of halting the evil Brownies' march to their third straight Ivy title.

The defending champions used their favorite 6-1 score to abolish Dartmouth's fabled defense, at Hanover yet. Harvard, the Ivies' only other undefeated team, remained in second place with its 3-0 whitewash of Cornell.

The weekend's surprise, and it was a huge one, came at New Haven. Yale was stunned by Columbia in overtime, 4-3, the same score which Brown edged the Elis last week.

Harvard, of course, thrashed Columbia in New York, 3-1, playing about half as well as it did against Cornell. The school of comparative scores would thus conclude that the Crimson has a good chance against Brown.

But a pessimistic analyst, on the other hand, might conclude that Yale, like Harvard last year, was just terribly let down after its loss to Brown.

The Elis led the Lions, 3-1, going into the final quarter; but Columbia erased the deficit with two minutes to go on a goal by Mossik Hacobian.

Johnny Edoga, who has been used, or more noticeably not used, as a placekicker for the football team, finally got off a game-winning kick in the first overtime to put Columbia in third place. (It was Edoga who was left standing when the referee's whistle ended the Columbia-Princeton football game at 14-15 with the Lions lined up for a field goal attempt.)

Brown's fourteenth straight Ivy win included goals by six different players. Gary Kaufman got his fourth League goal, keeping him one ahead of Harvard's Scott Robertson in the individual scoring race. Robertson, however, has played in one less game, and also has an assist to his credit.

Princeton, one of the League's four winless teams, fought to its second straight 0-0 tie, this time against Rutgers, adding to the numbers of frustrated sports fans in Tigertown this fall.

This weekend, Princeton travels to Philadelphia for an Ivy contest with Penn; Yale nd Cornell will battle in Ithaca to escape the League cellar; and Harvard follows Brown's trail up to Hanover. The Bruins, meanwhile, will have their hands full at home against Army.