Library Committee Studies Plan for Girls in Lamont

By Glenn A. Padnick

The Library Committee will once again wade into the murky waters of the Cliffies-in-Lamont at its meeting this Tuesday.

The Committee will take up a proposal, endorsed last week by the Radcliffe Government Association, that would give Radcliffe girls a limited use of Lamont Library. The proposal asks that girls be allowed to use the reserve books and the main reading room, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., on weekdays.

"We are going to take another look at letting the girls in," Dean Ford said yesterday.

He added that even critics of the proposal could not claim that any serious problems developed when Cliffles used the entire library during the first two weeks of the term. They left when Hilles Library was completed.

In the proposal, the girls claim that Hilles Library is fine at night, but that Cliffles cannot run back there between classes on weekdays, to use the reserve books.

The proposal leaves the decision on weekend use up to the committee's discretion, and willingly allows the suspension of the privilege during reading and exam periods.

Trial Run

The idea is only suggested as a trial run, the girls said, and should be subject to review after some undecided period of time.

However, Theodore Alevizos, assistant university librarian, doubted yesterday that the proposed experiment would influence the members of the committee, which includes professors as well as library staff.

The conditions upon which the girls based their request -- the first two weeks of the term -- are not representative of the rest of the year, when book demands are much heavier, Alevizos said.

The decision is up to the committee alone, Ford said, but he noted that it would be difficult to do without the general blessings of both President Pusey and the Corporation.