Harriers Humble Indians; Hardin Paces 2nd Shutout

Dartmouth's cross-country team showed historians the form that let Daniel Boone make it safely 20 miles to Boonesboro, when it was humiliated here yesterday, 15-50. A total of eleven Harvard runners had crossed the finish line before the first Indian straggled in, three minutes and three seconds behind winner Doug Hardin.

Hardin, the Crimson's unchallenged sophomore marvel, covered the 5.3-mile course in 27:19, 23 seconds off the record he set last week against Cornell. Practically every other Harvard runner improved on his previous time, as Harvard duplicated its shutout of the Big Red.

Tim McLoone, running by far the best race of his varsity career, was judged to have come in second, in 28:31. Bob Stempson and Jim Smith, who were trying for a triple dead heat along with McLoone, were judged third and fourth, respectively, with the same time. Junior Dick Howe rounded out the scoring 20 seconds later, and he was soon followed by classmates Jim Baker and Joe Ryan.

In a minor surprise, advanced standing sophomore Pete Dennehy came in ninth in 29:30, cutting about a minute off his best previous effort.

The freshman race was slightly closer, with one hardy Brave actually coming in fifth. The Crimson's one-two tandem of Keith Colburn and Roy Shaw copped the top spots as usual.

Colburn was timed in 16:13.8 over the 3.1-mile course, obliterating the old record of 16:14.0.

John Heyburn and captain Erik Roth came in third and fourth, and Dave Truesdell finished the scoring with a sixth-place finish.