Brooke Says Black Power's Failed, Makes Plea for Negro Moderation

Edward W. Brooke, Republican candidate for senator, told an applauding crowd of 700 student partisans at Carey Cage last night that black power won't get the Negro anywhere.

"The problem is more social and economic than racial, believe me," Brooke said. "The Negro in Watts is just as bitter against the successful Negro businessman as the white man. They are people sitting on the side of the road rebelling against society."

He suggested that the civil rights movement "get back on the right course" and return to the tactics of the early '60s.

Brooke singled out welfare as one area where the civil rights movement might become more active. "In moving around the country, I've heard that people have been finding it more profitable not to work than to work," he said. "You can't get people to work for $125 a week because they're getting $87 in relief and, after taxes, they'd do better staying there. There ought to be programs which would give them an incentive to work."

He also urged moderation on Vietnam to the tie-and-jacketed (and sweater-and-skirted) audience that had come from such points as Brandeis, B.U., Pine Manor, M.I.T. and Wheelock for the Harvard Young Republican Club rally.

"What can we do if we reject both extremes?" he asked. "I think the government has begun to move in this direction. We may see negotiations and a conference and, ultimately, peace. I have great hope that will come to pass."