Dunster 'Almost' Ties Yale Foes For Touch Title

Well, Dunster House's touch football champs tied their Yale opponents yesterday -- both teams got one extra point. Trouble was, Davenport got five extra touchdowns, to win, 37-7.

Dunster's offense was off throughout the game. The usually murderous short passing attack fell victim to bad pitchouts and slippery hands. Quarterback Hoyt Taylor's long bombs were lost in yesterday afternoon's gusty winds.

The Davenport offense was no more effective, but its defense chalked up six interceptions and came up with five of Davenport's six TDs.

The first half seemed to promise a lowscoring game. Davenport tallied first when Yale quarterback Jim Luikart and Taylor traded interceptions, giving Davenport the ball on Dunster's two-yard line. The Funsters evened the score late in the second period when Taylor picked off a Luikart pass and returned it to the Yale 25. Dunster's first play from scrimmage went from Taylor to left half Danny Kopans for the six points.

Dunster Lead

When Dunster followed with the extra point to lead, 7-6, going into the half, it looked as though the point was crucial.

But the second half proved differently. On the last play of the third quarter, Davenport climaxed an 80-yard drive with a two-yard touchdown pass from Luikart to speedster Bill Howerton, to lead 12-7.

The fourth quarter was a disaster. Trying to get back into the game, Dunster had four straight passes intercepted and run back for touchdowns