McCarthy Asks Church Political Role

By Gerald M. Rosberg

Sen. Eugene J. McCarthy (D-Minn.) said last night that the Church must take a clear and unambiguous stand on important political issues. He cited poverty, race relations, and America's world role as areas particularly requiring the Church's attention.

McCarthy spoke to an audience of nearly 400 in Memorial Church in the first of three William Belden Noble Lectures he will give this week on "Religion and Politics."

When he first came to Congress in 1948 the Church was not very interested in civil rights, McCarthy said, but by the early 1960's it was playing a significant role in changing popular attitudes and in influencing legislation.

He also praised the Church for the role it played in achieving the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.

But on other issues the Church is still not speaking out loudly enough, McCarthy said. The Truth in Packaging Bill passed by Congress in the last session is too soft, he said, and part of the blame

Senator McCarthy will be the guest at a public reception at 4 p.m. today in the Leverett Old Library. discussion will follow. lies with the Church.

At a news conference earlier in the day McCarthy was asked to comment on the effects of this month's elections. He said that he did not anticipate any significant obstruction of the President's legislative program even considering the Republicans' increased strength in both Houses.

He also commented on the use of public relations and advertising firms by candidates. "I am more concerned about the election of someone like Charles Percy than Ronald Reagan," he said. At least with Reagan there was no attempt at subtlety or deception, he said. "They just made him right before our eyes," he said, so the fault lies with the electorate and not with the public relations people.

McCarthy will deliver his second lecture at 8 p.m. tonight in Memorial Church