Recent Epidemic Traced to Virus

A common intestinal virus has been blamed for the epidemic which sent 84 Harvard students to the University Health Services during Thanksgiving weekend.

Dr. Curtis Prout, associate director of the Health Services, said yesterday that negative culture tests for bacteria point to a flu-type virus transmitted through the air. A similar epidemic has been reported by Cambridge Health officials.

Investigation of Central Kitchen's Wednesday night meal by sanitarian Wilfred Krabek failed to turn up any unusual bacteria. City health inspectors are conducting similar tests of the Central Kitchen food.

"Why these things come and go so quickly is one of the world's largest questions," Prout said. He pointed out that an intestinal epidemic occurs every year just before Christmas. According to Health Service records, this year's epidemic was the first during Thanksgiving recess.

"The increased fatigue of a holiday season is sometimes blamed," Prout said, "but I don't think fatigue is so unusual at Harvard." "Increased consumption of alcohol is also cited by some people," Prout added.

Victims of the virus suffered stomach cramps and nausea, which Prout described as "more uncomfortable than dangerous." The fact that Adams and Dunster house were untouched by the epidemic Prout attributed to their isolation from the rest of the Harvard community.