Crimson Loses to N.Y.U. Fencers: Coach Disappointed by 19-8 Defeat

The Harvard fencers were outspeeded in a disappointing 19-8 loss to N.Y.U. in the IAB on Saturday.

Crimson Coach Edo Marion commented last night, "The N.Y.U. coach had said before the games that he would be happy with a 14-13 win. I too was expecting a close match."

Started Well

According to Marion, the Harvard team started out well, losing the first round only 4-5 against a "timid" N.Y.U. attack. But the Crimson lost its psychological edge in the second and third rounds.

Senior foilman Tom Musliner, whom Marion had expected to do well, took only one of his three matches. But Marion said that one of his bouts was marred by a bad call for which "everyone was sorry, even the N.Y.U. coach." Takashi Iwasawa, another foilman, stood out in winning two matches and lost his third 4-5.

N.Y.U. Good With Epee

N.Y.U. did much better than had been expected in epee. The Crimson had hoped to win at least six of the nine bouts but over-confidence hindered their fencing Harvard took only four games.

Marion commented on Harry Jergesen's two losses in epee by saying that Jergensen has been "offbeat so far this year due to lack of practice."

Damus Is Missed

The Sabermen were weakened by the absence of team captain Bob Damus, who, Marion said, would probably have made a difference of two games.

Marion, undaunted by the team's loss to its toughest opponent, hopes to do better against Columbia, his next test.