Hockey Team Tackles the East's Best In League Contest at Cornell Tonight

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

The Harvard hockey team has its first of at least three chances tonight to knock off #1, the Big Red of Cornell, in an Ivy League encounter at hockey-mad Ithaca tonight. The Crimson is a heavy underdog, but no more than it was last year when it lost 7-6 in the away game and won, 5-4, at Watson Rink.

Last year Coach Ned Harkness's practically all-Canadian squad was second in the East to Clarkson, the only team besides Harvard to top the Ithacans. Everyone's preseason pick to dominate the East this year, Cornell has so far demolished St. Lawrence, 8-0, and Northeastern, 9-0.

Though in both cases it required overtime goals, Cornell has also defeated Clarkson and the defending NCAA champion, Michigan State, by 3-2 scores. In its opener, the Big Red topped Yale, 5-3. Of these wins, only the triumph over the Larries, who later edged the Crimson, 3-2, was recorded on home ice.

Practically the only player missing from last year's Ivy champions is All-Ivy goalie Errol McKibbon. Dave Quarrie, who alternated with McKibbon in the nets last season is out with an injured ankle, but the Big Red is still not hurting. Sophomore Ken Dryden, brother of Black Hawk reserve netminder Hank, has played well in all the Cornell victories to date.

Also up from last year's undefeated freshman team is a spectacular line of Pete Tufford, Bob McGuinn, and Brian Cornell. Tufford broke the St. Lawrence game up with four goals in the first period, McGuinn got a hat trick in a 6-1 win over Guelph (Ont.), and Cornell scored the first goal against Clarkson.

This line, mind you, is in addition to two lettermen lines that have returned intact from last year. The first line of All-American Doug Ferguson, All-Ivy Mike Doran, and twin-brother Dave Ferguson is possibly the best in the country. The second line features Bob Kinasewich, brother of Harvard's former captain. Murray Death and Bob Ferguson.

Harry Orr, another All-Ivy performer, leads the defense and pairs with equally rough Wally Stanowski. Sophomore Bruce Pattison, a converted winger, has looked even better than these two in the early games.

Their credentials are certainly impressive, but the Big Red can be beaten if Harvard plays at its peak, hustles all out, and doesn't allow itself to be flustered by the hard-hitting opposition. This is the pattern of play the Crimson exhibited in upsetting Clarkson.

Coach Cooney Weiland is leaning toward his scrappy sophomores, the only bright spot in the discouraging loss to the Eastern Olympics Saturday. Pete Mueller and Barry Johnson, who got two goals each in their varsity debut, will be wings on the third line, with George Murphy in the center.

Bobby Bauer moves up to the second line, where he joins center Jack Garrity and left wing Bob Fredo. Captain Dennis McCullough has returned to resurrect the first line of Kent Parrot and Ben Smith.

Defense, the weak spot Saturday, may still be below par if Don Grimble, who must protect his bashed nose, can't play. Tag Demment would fill in for Grimble, with the possibility that Smith might shift back. In that case, sophomore Chip Otness would join the first line.

Sophomore Bill Diercks, who had the unfortunate experience of being bombed before he could warm up in the third period against the Olympics, will probably get the nod for goalie. The 5' 6" Crimson sophomore will present quite a contrast in size, if not in skill, to the 6' 3" Dryden.

Harvard and Cornell will meet again at the Boston Arena in a non-League contest Thursday, December 29, at 9 p.m. The three-day round-robin Arena Tournament also finds the Crimson facing off against Boston University (Wednesday, December 29, at 9 p.m.) and Northeastern (Friday, December 30, at 7 p.m.).