Off-Campus House Cliffies Win Concessions on Meals

HOME BREAKFASTS, BOX LUNCHES

Radcliffe has made two concessions to the off-campus students who protested the recent "across-the-board" increase in room and board rates.

Under the terms of a new plan announced by President Bunting Wednesday, breakfast in all off-campus houses will be subsidized by the college next year, box lunches will be offered to off-campus students and made available at dinner-time the day before.

Off-campus houses will receive a flat rate of 30 cents per student per day to for breakfast supplies, Mrs. Bunting said. Anyone who wishes to eat a prepared breakfast, in the brick dorms will be free to do so, she added. In that case, his will also be the first time that campus Cliffies will be given box lunches. By making lunches available at dinner time, the college hopes to encourage students who would be unwilling to make an extra trip to the brick dorms in the morning, Mrs. Bunting said.

According to Mrs. Bunting, the new plan designed to provide greater flexibility and convenience in the meal plan outlined a month ago. At that time, she announced that all of-campus 'Cliffies would have to pay for three meals per day recent concessions will also allow Radcliffe to do away with the costly cumbersome system of meal checkers that is currently used for optional meals.

Reaction to the announcement amont the dissatisfied Cliffies was generally favorable, If luke-warm. Students now living off-campus agreed that although they might have hoped for something more major, the changes certainly would make ther lives easier.

"Nothing Exciting"

One girl said that the 30 cent subsidy "made sense and was really fair," adding the amount was more than adequate for coffee, toast and cereal breakfast is standard off-campus fare. Another noted that although box lunches nothing anyone got excited about," she would probably use them rather than pay for the extra meal.

Several remarked that the administration was not conceding anything in principle. One said she was pleased nevertheless, because off-campus people had been led to believe that there would be no more concessions. The change, she said, made the best of a necessarily bad situation.

Others were not appeased. One noted with spirit that "they are giving us crumbs to eat, in order to keep us quiet,"