Sedlacek Nets 40 Points But Quintet Bows, 99-85

By R. ANDREW Beyer

Keith Sedlacek scored a record 40 points, but Harvard's basketball team suffered a 99-85 loss to Columbia Saturday night.

Sedlacek's output erased the previous Harvard record of 39, set by Merle McClung at Dartmouth last year. He hit 6 of 28 shots from the floor, and went eight-for-nine from the foul line. Sedlacek's shooting in the first half, especially, was almost beyond belief; he sank eight of nine shots, mostly long jumpers, and connected on five straight free throws.

But as has been true all year long, Sedlacek's individual heroics were not enough. Columbia's one-two punch of Dave Newmark and Stan Felsinger accounted for 54 points, and the seven-foot Newmark dominated the rebounding. He grabbed 19 'bounds, as the Lions held a 55-33 advantage in that department.

Almost, but Never Quite

The game was a close one throughout the first half, and in the early minutes of the second half Harvard trailed by only three, 49 to 46. But that was as close as the Crimson came. Columbia spurted ahead, 61 to 49, and piled up their lead to as much as 27 points.

Columbia's victory kept the Ivy League race in a complete snarl. In other games Saturday, Princeton edged Yale, 68 to 64; Cornell beat Dartmouth, 102 to 82; and Penn bombed Brown, 92 to 64. The games left Princeton, Penn, and Columbia in a three-way tie for first place with 7-1 records, while Cornell has a 6-2 mark.