Wrestlers Down Columbia, 24-13; Padlak Breezes

By Lee H. Simowitz

Never seriously in danger, Harvard cruised to a 24-13 victory over Columbia's wrestlers Saturday at the IAB.

Harvard got off to a quick 8-0 lead as the Lions' Simon Olstein injured his elbow in the first period of the 123-pound event and defaulted to Howie Henjyoji. Bing Sung, wrestling 130 for Harvard, followed with a 4-1 decision over Martin Wasserman.

Crimson captain Tom Gilmore drew with Columbia sophomore John Mayer in a curious 0-0 match.

At 145, Columbia captain Chuck Christensen defeated Mike Graae, 10 to 4, bringing the team score to 10 to 5.

Salted Away

Then the powerful middle of the Harvard lineup put the match away. First, the Crimson's Ed Franquemont downed Larry Nelson, 6 to 2, at 152. Sophomore Paul Padlak, at 160 for Harvard record- the Crimson's sole pin. It came against Gordon Norguay at 4:34 of the second period.

Harvard's Chris Wickens, in one of his best efforts this year, outclassed Barry Nazarian 7 to 0, at 167 to clinch the meet for the Crimson.

Columbia's two best wrestlers, 177 pound Dave Morash and 191-pounder Pete Saltzer, each won easily, as Morash pounced Jeff Grant, 10 to 2, and Saltzer pinned Bill Malugen at 6:20.

In the heavyweight match, Harvard's Tack Chace had trouble with Bruce Chattman until the last period, when he lifted the bulky Lion wrestler and slammed him a 3-point near fall. The points enabled Chace to tie Chattman at the end the match and win on riding time.

The victory gave Harvard a 2-1 record the Ivy League, and 4-2 overall.