Icemen Outclassed in Slugfest, Lose Contest to Terriers, 9-2

By Robert P. Marshal jr.

Boston University completely outclassed the Harvard hockey team, 9-2, in the final of the Boston Tournament at the Boston Garden last night. The Crimson, the longest of long shots in the annual highlight of Boston's collegiate winter sports season, scored first and held the Terriers in a 1-1 check for the first period. But B.U. exploded for five second-period goals as the one-sided affair degenerated into a sloppy slugfest.

Harvard's hopes for the upset of the year reached their peak early. After a faceoff to the left of B.U. goalie Jack Ferreira, Kent Parrot angled back a perfect pass from the end line to Dennis McCullough, alone six feet in front of Ferreira, whacked the puck into the lower left hand corner to give the Crimson the lead at 2:09.

The rest of the first period belonged to Harvard goalie Bill Fitzsimmons. Mike Sobeski tied the score when he pushed in the rebound of his own shot from point-blank range, but Fitzsimmons's 16 fantastic saves far overshadowed the only tally.

But Fitzsimmons couldn't plug the dike forever, and he didn't have a chance on the five goals the Terriers poured in in the second period.

B.U. countered Bob Fredo's goal for the Crimson with three more tallies in the third period, but by that time the packed house wasn't interested in the hockey.

Play was rough in the first period, but by the second there was hardly a check which wasn't punctuated by a swinging elbow or stick. The referees, who controlled the action better with tackles than whistles, had handed out 28 minutes of penalties and disqualified Harvard defenseman Demment and B.U. wing Bassi for fighting by the end of the second period. But these things were tame compared to a third period donnybrook in which Bob Carr and Ben Smith got in at least five fights before order was restored and the sorry mismatch was played to completion.