Princeton Swimmers Stop Harvard, Break Pool Records in Two Relays

By John A. Herfort

Princeton's swimmers extended their unbeaten streak and primed themselves for Yale and Army by defeating the Crimson 55 to 40 at the IAB Saturday afternoon.

The Tigers smashed pool records in both relays, taking the medley relay in 3:40.7 and the freestyle relay in 3:14.3. The latter performance broke the mark set by Yale's 1963 unit that included several 1964 Olympians. The visitors from Old Nassau also pulled and pushed several Crimson swimmers to their best performances of the season.

Bob Corris astounded the crowd by holding onto the lead he had taken in the breaststroke leg of the 200-yard individual medley to defeat Princeton's previously invincible Kris Brown. Corris's time, 2:04.6 was 2.4 seconds faster than he and ever swum the distance before. Brown was luckier in then 500-yard freestyle, his specialty. He moved out in the last lap and won in 5:07.7, pulling Harvard's Pete Adams to a 5:08 time, the fast-improving sophomore's best time to date.

Corris Sets Record

But the race that produced the wildest crowd reaction was one Harvard sewed up, the 200-yard breaststroke. Corris glided away from captain Bruce Fowler after 75 yards, passed the 100-yard mark in 1:04.5 and held the fast pace to finish in 2:16.7, a new pool and University record.

Neville Hayes took a 4-foot lead after 100-yards in the 200-yard butterfly, but faded slightly and held off Princeton's fast-finishing captain John Kalmbach by only 2 feet in 2:00.5 Bill Shrout pulled Adams to a Harvard sweep in the 200-yard free-style, a performance the Tigers didn't anticipate. Shrout finished in 1:48.7, with Adams right behind in 1:49.

Harvard, however, list the two events that they would have had to win in order to upset the Tigers. Phil Chase hit a wave coming off the turn in the 50, faded, and finished third to Princeton's Dave Van Voorhis and Bob Humber. Shrout took be lead in the 100-yard freestyle after 50 yards, but lost it coming off the third turn and was touched out by the Tigers' Bruce Brookens in mediocre time, 48.7 seconds.