Scarlet Knights to Confront Matmen, Will Pose Powerful Non-Ivy Threat

The Harvard wrestlers take a break from Ivy League competition when they meet Rutgers at 7:30 p.m. tonight in the IAB, but the break will be in name alone. The Scarlet Knights are strong, probably as strong as Harvard, and the match will almost certainly be close.

The Crimson has never won a match from Rutgers in five tries, losing last year, 18 to 9. The Scarlet Knights are led by captain John Welch at 167, but the best wrestler on the sound is probably Paul Goble, a heavyweight.

Rutgers has already beaten two Ivy League opponents this season, polishing off Yale, 29 to 10, and edging Princeton, one of the League's better teams, 17 to 16.

Harvard comes out of the exam break rested (assuredly) and still in shape (hopefully). The Crimson's record is now 3-1, with the only loss to league-leading Cornell, and the team still has a good chance for its best year in a good many.

The best individual matches of the night should be between Goble and Crimson heavyweight Tack Chace, and between Harvard's Ed Franquemont and Rutgers' John O'Donnell at 152. Franquemont, the Crimson's classiest wrestler, squeaked by O'Donnell last year 5 to 4.

Coach Bob Pickett will start his usual lineup, with Howie Henjvoji at 123, Bing Sung at 130, captain Tom Gilmore at 137, Howie Durfee at 145, Franquemont at 152, Paul Padlak at 160, Chris Wickens at 167, Jeff Grant at 177, Bill Malugen at 191, and Chace at heavyweight.